Questions about level design

Moderators: Main Administator, Global Moderator, Moderator

Leg-Spinner 77
Administrator
Administrator

Making Layers Appear Far Away

Post by Leg-Spinner 77 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Help!!!
I need to know how make the background layers appear so far away, like DolAmoth - My New Trick, Anodyne Sea etc.
Thx! :D

Leggie
"Soli Deo honor et gloria."
Member of Team Grimmie \|/

Other nicks: Standecni, Vandette (and all other Vandette names), MotR, Science & Progress, Man on the Run.

Aidan is Back
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

Re: Making Layers Appear Far Away

Post by Aidan is Back » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:24 am

I don't know srry

NicoTheChamp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by NicoTheChamp » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Effects -> x-moto -> level -> set layers properties - keyboard shortcut A. Then change the X- and Y scroll. Hope this helps :-)

Lord Kacper/KACPU
Xmoto-Player Advanced

Post by Lord Kacper/KACPU » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Nah Nico. X and Y scrolls are for moving layers like the clouds in "alex-theUnderground" level

Leg-Spinner 77
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Leg-Spinner 77 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:24 am

[quote=""Czapi""]Nah Nico. X and Y scrolls are for moving layers like the clouds in "alex-theUnderground" level[/quote]

Do u know mate? It seems the only way to make layers look good, apart from transparent water of course. :D

Other nicks: Standecni, Vandette (and all other Vandette names), MotR, Science & Progress, Man on the Run.

tumo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tumo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:45 pm

If you want to do the layers appear "far away" you need to do like Nico said, also set the movement of the layers in the layers properties window. Changing the x- and y-values indicate how the blocks in a certain layer move considering the blocks in the main layer. So there's basically 3 different options:

1. Both values 1 or very close to it. This way the blocks in a certain layer move just like/ almost like the blocks in a main layer. This setting is usually used when you just want to hide background blocks from uglyover-mode, or when you create transparent water etc.

2. Setting the values close to 0 or 0. This way the blocks in the chosen layers move slower than the blocks in the main layer. This is the option used to make it look like the blocks are "far away". When doing this you must also make the background scenery pretty small and focus it in the top left corner in inkscape, because the left and top border in inkscape also indicate the left and top border in xmoto.

3. Making the values over 1 This way the blocks move faster than main layer blocks, obviously. Using this, you must focus the bock you draw to the lower right corner, so they can be seen better. Perhaps the least used option.

tumo
I may not always be right,
but I'm never wrong.

Leg-Spinner 77
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Leg-Spinner 77 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:14 am

[quote=""tumo""]If you want to do the layers appear "far away" you need to do like Nico said, also set the movement of the layers in the layers properties window. Changing the x- and y-values indicate how the blocks in a certain layer move considering the blocks in the main layer. So there's basically 3 different options:

1. Both values 1 or very close to it. This way the blocks in a certain layer move just like/ almost like the blocks in a main layer. This setting is usually used when you just want to hide background blocks from uglyover-mode, or when you create transparent water etc.

2. Setting the values close to 0 or 0. This way the blocks in the chosen layers move slower than the blocks in the main layer. This is the option used to make it look like the blocks are "far away". When doing this you must also make the background scenery pretty small and focus it in the top left corner in inkscape, because the left and top border in inkscape also indicate the left and top border in xmoto.

3. Making the values over 1 This way the blocks move faster than main layer blocks, obviously. Using this, you must focus the bock you draw to the lower right corner, so they can be seen better. Perhaps the least used option.

tumo[/quote]

Thx mate!!! I'll go test it when I get a chance. :D

NicoTheChamp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by NicoTheChamp » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am

thank me too... lol

Leg-Spinner 77
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Leg-Spinner 77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:50 am

[quote=""NicoTheChamp""]thank me too... lol[/quote]

Thank you too then, Nico :P

Cigam
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Cigam » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:54 am

The other thing to do is to change the scale of the texture to make it seem far away too.

Leg-Spinner 77
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Leg-Spinner 77 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 pm

[quote=""Cigam""]The other thing to do is to change the scale of the texture to make it seem far away too.[/quote]

Impossible for me, my nubbiness :|

Cigam
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Cigam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:16 pm

I still need to reload inksmoto on my computer, but where you change the texture of the object there is a scale bar to let you adjust how big or small the texture is. when I can ill try to take a pic to upload but im very hectic with work at the moment ill try to do it on my day off if I can. Hope that helps.

Leg-Spinner 77
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Leg-Spinner 77 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 am

[quote=""Cigam""]I still need to reload inksmoto on my computer, but where you change the texture of the object there is a scale bar to let you adjust how big or small the texture is. when I can ill try to take a pic to upload but im very hectic with work at the moment ill try to do it on my day off if I can. Hope that helps.[/quote]

I know what you mean, mate. But I am HORRIBLE at Inkscape xDD

ASDF
Xmoto-Player Advanced

Post by ASDF » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:05 pm

[quote=""Leg-Spinner 77""]

I know what you mean, mate. But I am HORRIBLE at Inkscape xDD[/quote]

Yes you are :)
"I intend to live forever, or die trying."

Leg-Spinner 77
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Leg-Spinner 77 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:58 am

[quote=""ASDF""][quote=""Leg-Spinner 77""]

I know what you mean, mate. But I am HORRIBLE at Inkscape xDD[/quote]

Yes you are :)[/quote]

^^

Return to “General level construction”