Xmoto on Android

Propositions, features, discussions

Moderators: Main Administator, Moderator, Global Moderator

Dizwix
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

Xmoto on Android

Post by Dizwix » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:17 am

Is it possible since the NDK allows using C and C++?

Cigam
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Cigam » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:28 pm

I think I had found a way to compile xmoto for WindowsCE / Windows mobile phones, but I am not sure about an Android. I have never really tried compiling for either.

CuBuLo
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

Post by CuBuLo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:34 pm

This would be awesome. I just got a Droid.

unnheulu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by unnheulu » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:46 pm

Look forward to receiving your ported version! If you are actually planning on porting it yourself, tell me and I will give you some pointers.

Cigam
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Cigam » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 am

For compiling to a pocketpc I had found this link:
http://blog.mypapit.net/2007/07/how-to- ... linux.html

but for compiling xmoto for the android, I would have to look at the code, since all of it is open source, someone will eventually figure it out:
http://developer.android.com/index.html

I dont plan on trying to compile it myself right now, but there are the links if yall want to try.

Dizwix
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

Post by Dizwix » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Well, I'm not able to do it by myself, but I'm asking some guys on a french forum right now.

garytr24
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

android port

Post by garytr24 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:18 pm

It should be possible. It has very little to do with other phone ports.

People have gotten sdl-based opengl stuff working on NDK.

http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/android/index.html

I think it would need a java wrapper to manage the application context and do JNI for the C/C++ stuff, and the rest should be pretty straightforward as there's been arm ports? There's one in debian for 0.4.2.

I wish I could do it myself :-).

hacheriya
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

Post by hacheriya » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:38 am

How do i set up the Android SDK? Hi, I want to start developing apps on the Google Android platform but I do not know how to set the SDK up. Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide?

Nancy17
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

Re: Xmoto on Android

Post by Nancy17 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:16 am

Android is a difficult platform to work on and the amount of resources and time needed to code for a single application is significant for a small business.The need to re-code for various hardware and software versions is not conducive to building a customer base. For doing variations in hardware and software affect the overall compatibility of the app, it reflects poorly on the build quality of the app. As a result, customers are naturally wary of the platform when they experience poor app quality and interaction.This android application is very useful in mobile development features.

Android Game Development

Unnheulu-
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

Post by Unnheulu- » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:10 pm

[quote=""Nancy17""]Android is a difficult platform to work on and the amount of resources and time needed to code for a single application is significant for a small business.The need to re-code for various hardware and software versions is not conducive to building a customer base. For doing variations in hardware and software affect the overall compatibility of the app, it reflects poorly on the build quality of the app. As a result, customers are naturally wary of the platform when they experience poor app quality and interaction.This android application is very useful in mobile development features.

Android Game Development[/quote]

Sorry if I'm (very) late replying. I, having done some significant amounts of development for that platform (most of which I hope to release soon) would highly disagree with your statements. Programming the base app is very easy, especially if all the logic was already created alongside the structure (duuh :P). As long as you have a basic understanding of Java then you can develop games easily. The hardest point I agree would be hardware variations. Specifically those differentiations in the screens; eg multi/single touch; aspect ratio; etc. Processor and GPU differences is unlikely to impact the user significantly. Remember it should already be highly optimized/possible to optimize otherwise it is not suitable for a mobile platform.

So now the major point I see now is supporting different aspect ratios. The two most common sizes (iirc) are 240x320 and 480x800; with the majority of new phones being released with 480x800 screens. Other sizes can be added in later, but for now simply designing a gui for one of each is all that is needed. Remember core code and gui code should always be seperated. GUI should not contain the logic. Furthermore, once an aspect ratio is covered then happy days. You have two ways of positioning images on a screen in Android, one is pixel by pixel, the other applies to the pixel densities. In real terms this means you only need to design per aspect ratio, not per pixel size. Doing it via densities also allows you to easily resize the images to.

Just my musings.

Leyendecker
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

Post by Leyendecker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:25 am

I recently playing the android system, but always a lot of problems, it is the trouble?

Hiddo
Xmoto-Player Advanced

Post by Hiddo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:30 pm

It is the trouble.

Akoni
Xmoto Player
Xmoto Player

Post by Akoni » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:06 am

I just learn to use the android system, but there are a lot to learn. Look forward to your continued updates!

Return to “New Ideas about the Game”