Propositions, features, discussions

Moderators: Main Administator, Global Moderator, Moderator

manul_23
Administrator
Administrator

"Safe mode"

Post by manul_23 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm sure most of you have been facing this dilemma:
You're playing a (for you) hard level with checkpoints, let's say Cirpacha and *Awesome~Style* - The open hollow and you've just managed the last hard trick in the upper part after a ton of tries. Now you're heading down to where you expect the finish to be and come across the last squeeze. Since you kind of dislike squeezing and aren't that experienced in it, you hopelessly fail. Thank god you touched the checkpoint above the squeeze, and so you spawn back there, hoping the next try will be better. But for the next 5 minutes, you hardly get to where you got in the first try. You're getting nervous. It's becoming late, you are hungry as you haven't eaten anything yet this afternoon, but you want to get this finished now. The movements of your hand are getting more and more hesitating. For one moment, you think about changing the "restart" and the "next" and "previous level" buttons to some other buttons out of the danger zone on the keyboard, but this thought is oppressed by the will to finish the level as soon as possible. Then you have a good try, your front wheel comes out of the squeeze into the target cave, but one little hasty movement makes the biker's head smash against the ceiling. Frustrated, you swing your finger to where you assume the backspace button to be and press it angrily. Then you freeze. What's going on? Nothing happens in the game. It seems as if something is being loaded. And there you go - you suddenly find youself in Cirpacha's chloroplast.....

Well, those times may be gone soon:
Yesterday, Stewan and I got the idea of introducing a "Safe mode", in which such tragedies can't happen anymore. We were thinking of something like this:
When activated, the "restart" and "next" and "previous level" buttons (which make the "danger zone" as they are usually set on those around the backspace button) are disabled as soon as you have touched a checkpoint. That means that you can press Enter at any time without anything happening (provided the Safe mode is activated)!
It would also be nice to have a keyboard button for activating and deactivating the Safe mode (one of the F buttons - some of their functions are not that important).

As this doesn't seem te be too much effort, we - and certainly a lot of other players - would really like to see this introduced!

Looking forward to some constructive responses! ;)

Cheers,
manul23/Felix/Lefthander
I'm also Felix is back! and Lefthander...

CoolD
Xmoto Player

Re: "Safe mode"

Post by CoolD » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:34 pm

Wow. Although I tend to get too frustrated to even use checkpoints a majority of the time, this seems like a fantastic idea. I just wonder who could implement it....

Nomedigas
Xmoto Player

Post by Nomedigas » Sat May 16, 2015 9:26 pm

[align=center]Incerdibly nice idea! It would be amazing if you could disable those ''danger'' buttons in the game, I restarted  too many times in a long hard lvl at the very end lots of times ^^[/align]

Infinity
Main Administator
Main Administator

Post by Infinity » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 am

I know this is a super old topic, but the idea is really good! I've gone ahead and opened up a task in the TODO part of our site at http://todo.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/index.p ... _id=510528. Hopefully this will be implemented soon  :)

Infinity
Main Administator
Main Administator

Post by Infinity » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:05 am

Safe mode lite is done! (I'm still working on the full version). Basically, if you hit f6 (configureable) during a level, the danger keys (next/prev/restart) become disabled. It'll be released in the next version. Code will be commited to svn in a bit.
Last edited by Infinity on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “New Ideas about the Game”